Saturday 1 October 2022

Auli- Wreathed in Clouds

 


the light spread, there were long lines of cloud in the sky and presently above them the outline of the snow peaks appeared, cold and hard as if they were made of iron; they turned from black to grey to white while the hills were still in darkness.” - Rumer Godden seemed to be describing Auli

Auli was a delightful mistake, lovely views, walks, clouds and mountains across the valley. I had given myself three days spare in the Valley of Flowers, and having not used them, I was meandering my way down, when I asked the taxi driver where could I go? Without hesitation he said "Auli", so Auli it was.

The beauty of the place was the clouds, the mountains and the interplay of the sun at different times of day.  In the mornings the clouds rose from the valleys and by about noon wreathed the mountain-tops, in the evenings the sun shone through the clouds with the peaks peeping through.

Auli is a winter sports resort, mainly for skiing, so there are at least three (possibly four) ski lift systems festooning the hillside. Taking a ride to the last stop in a ski lift, I had a drink and came down again.


I had gone "out of season" and in mid-week, so I had the entire GMVN resort to myself.  The "room with a view" had a stunning one, terraced hillsides, valleys, mountains and the ubiquitous clouds.


In front there was a mountain range with some of the higher mountains in the Himalayas visible, I know not a single one, and who cares, the sight was so breathtaking.


The sun set on my trip too soon, and it was time to go. Getting a bus early morning, and I mean really early, 4 am got me from an ethereal world to the real one in eleven hours. I couldn't have made a more lovely 'mistake'.

Beneath the moon, chilly winds blow through the pines as wisps of clouds arise. So many mountain ridges layer into each other for miles around! The valley stream is quiet and clear — I’m not done with this boundless joy.” Peter Levitt could be describing my feelings.

No comments:

Post a Comment